Website Content Creation Tips for Clients
One of the most frequently asked questions I receive is whether I will create content for my client’s project. The short answer is that it depends on the individual client and the scope of the project.
What Is Content?
First, it's important to define what content means in the context of web design. Content refers to any text, images, videos, or other media that appears on a website. This can include everything from the homepage copy to product descriptions, blog posts, and social media updates. In short, content is what makes a website useful and engaging to visitors.
Content Creation and Management
Let’s also look at the difference between content creation and management. Content creation is something I create for a client (examples are social media graphics, content writing and editing, stock photo and video selection and editing).
Content that I manage involves me hiring and managing a creative freelancer for items such as video creation, high-quality copywriting, and advanced SEO management.
If I feel like I can confidently and professionally create an item, then I will. If I feel like another freelancer might be better suited for the role, than I can hire and manage the content creation.
Now, let's explore the reasons why I may or may not offer content creation for a particular project.
Reasons Why I May Create/Manage Content:
- One-Stop Shop: Some clients prefer content creation services to have a one-stop-shop for their project. By handling both the design and content creation aspects of a website, clients can save time and have a more cohesive website. They only need to work with one person (me!) instead of managing many different relationships.
- Better Control Over Design: When I create or manage the content, I have more control over how it appears on the website. This means I can ensure that the design and content work together seamlessly.
- Improved SEO: Quality content is essential for improving a website's search engine optimization (SEO). By creating high-quality content, I can help my clients improve their search engine rankings and drive more traffic to their websites.
- Consistent Branding: When I create or manage content, I can ensure that it is consistent with the client's branding. This means that the website will have a unified look and feel, which is essential for building brand recognition and trust.
Reasons Why I May Not Create/Manage Content:
- Lack of Expertise: While I am skilled at creating websites, I don’t have the same level of expertise when it comes to video creation. Creating high-quality content requires a different set of skills, including writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Time Constraints: I often work on multiple projects at once, which can make it difficult to create content for rushed project deadlines. This is especially true if the content is complex or requires extensive research.
- Client Preferences: Some clients prefer to create their own content or hire a separate copywriter to do so. In these cases, I wouldn’t offer content creation services as part of the package.
- Cost: Creating high-quality content can be time-consuming and require additional resources. As a result, I charge extra for content creation and management services.
As a client, how can you determine whether you want me to create or manage content for you? The best approach is to ask upfront and discuss the scope of the project in detail. Be clear about your expectations and goals for your project. I’m also happy to recommend a content creator to help with the project.
If you are hiring a separate copywriter or content creator, it's important to ensure that their work aligns with your branding and design goals. Be sure to provide them with clear guidelines and examples of what you are looking for. I can also meet with your content creator or send specifications for the project.
Regardless of whether I create content for you, it's important to prioritize high-quality content on your website. This means taking the time to create well-written copy, compelling images, and engaging videos. Quality content can help you build trust with your audience, improve your search engine rankings, and ultimately drive more traffic and sales.